University League KYU

Isamail Edu’s last-minute winner gave Kyambogo University a thrilling victory over Kampala International University in a pulsating University League clash at the Nsambya grounds. As the KIU team was still adapting to the game Kyambogo gave them a teaser when Joseph Bukenya opened the goal accounts of Kyambogo in only the 6th minute. Stephen Mukama Magulumali equalised through a well taken free kick which passed by the defenders till the net.

At the start of the second half the Kyambogo tactician had already seen the loop holes in his side and made

quick substations which seemed to be very fruitful as the introduction of Hebert Galiwango in the second half, his first touch on the ball resulted in to a penalty as he was fouled by Babu Bashir within the box but goal keeper Derrick Sebayiga stood tall and punched Joseph Adriko’s ball away for a corner kick.

Danger was still looming the premises of KIU as they failed to clear a corner kick which found an unmarked Joseph Bukenya who hit the ball and stroke the cross bar came back in to play, the keeper vulnerably cleared into the path of an opponent in Tom Mugambe who executed.
From that point, Kyambogo looked very lethal as Moses Guloba dribbled past the defence and shot from the 18 yard but goal keeper Derrick Sebayiga didn’t fumble with it.
Mistake from the defence of Kyambogo gifted KIU as Edson Nkahebwa stroke the equaliser in the 56th minute which gave KIU hope of wining the home game tie.
Each team looked good after scoring a goal as their reaction was too good as they yarned for more and this fell in the KIU hands as Mohammed Yusuf missed an opportunity of just looping the goal keeper Rahuman Adui which went begging over the bar.
And it was at this juncture when the noisy Kyambogo fans were just coming in to the pitch in the 64th minute and they brought some warm feeling with in the game.
KIU were just unlucky as most of their opportunities were diverted to the cross bar and one of the victims whose ball went to the bar was KIU’s lead striker Ismail Kagingo
In the 88th minute Kyambogo’s Keith Tegule was fouled at the edge of the 18 yard box which culminated in to problems for KIU. Adriko took the free kick and found teammate Isamail Edu who broke the hearts of the KIU players and fans in the 89th minute when he converted the ball in to the net and it’s this last minute gasp which sunk KIU and leaves KIU in the 4th position with 6 points and leaves Kyambogo at the second position of the table with 11 points only to be separated by goals with Nkumba University their next opponent.
At the end of the 90 minutes furious KIU fans wanted to attack the centre referee in Muhammad Sali because of poor officiation just to be helped out by the police and some KIU officials.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think