APR FC (Rwanda) 2-2 Gor Mahia FC (Kenya)

El Merriekh (Sudan) 1-1 Vital’O (Burundi)

Defending champions Vital’O of Burundi and Kenyan champions Gor Mahia FC have been officially knocked out of this year’s CECAFA Kagame Cup after failing to secure wins in their respective games.

The Burundi side were held to a 1-1 draw by Sudan’s El Merriekh in a group C game while Gor Mahia were denied by a late equaliser to draw 2-2 with home team APR FC.

Vital’O who needed victory to finish second in the group already topped by Police FC took a first half lead through danger man Laudit Mavugo but a better second half showing by the Sudan giants saw them equalise through Malien Mohammed Traore.

Mavugo netted in the 34th minute after the El Merriekh backline failed to clear from danger and he made no mistake but slot the ball past Jamal Salim.

A change in tactics by El Merriekh coach Burhaneldin Yousief saw him withdraw Kenyan striker Allan Wanga for Gabir Abdu Mohamed after recess and it worked as Gabir played a through ball to Traore who beat his men before forcing a corner from which they equalised.

elmerriekh kagame cup

From then on, the Sudan side sat back and opted to attack on the counter. Despite endless threats on their goal, they held on till the final whistle.

El Merriekh will now face winners of group A in the quarter finals on Wednesday at Nyamirambo stadium.

In  a group B game played, Kenya’s Gor Mahia FC drew 2-2 with Rwanda’s APR FC.

Jean Baptiste Mugiraneza scored in the 22nd minute to send the capacity home crowd into frenzy.

Mugiraneza pounced on a lose ball after Gor Mahia goalie Jerim Onyango failed to handle Emery Bayisenge’s header.

The home side deservedly led at half time forcing Gor coach Bobby Williamson to introduce Ugandan striker Daniel Sserunkuma who surprisingly started on the bench for the off colour Eric Ochieng.

The Ugandan won a free kick on the centre half arc inside APR FC which David Owino took and Geoffrey ‘Baba’ Kizito netted off the rebound for the Kenyan side equaliser with half an hour played.

K’Ogalo who were in ascendency at the moment missed an opportunity to take the lead after Timothy Otieno shot wide from close range.

gormahia apr

In the 87th minute, Godfrey Walusimbi gave Gor Mahia some hope of progression to the last eight with a well taken free kick but the Kenyans were denied a third goal by Tanzania referee Israel Mujuni after he disallowed a genuine Daniel Sserunkuma after he pounced on a lose ball from goalie Olivier Kwizera.

In the closing stages of the game, Patrick Sibomana netted the equaliser tapping in from close range a low cross from down the right flank.

The draw means Gor Mahia FC join Djibouti’s Telecom as the two teams out in group B and puts APR top of the log on seven points one ahead of KCC FC who they face on Sunday in a game that will decide the group winner.

Senior Staff writer at Kawowo Sports mainly covering football

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think