African Nations Cup 2015 hosts Morocco have asked the Confederation of Africa Football to postpone the event due to fears of Ebola virus.
The finals are due to be held between January and February next year but the Morocco government through the ministry of youth and sports says it should be postponed to latter dates.
A state news agency told MAP on Friday that a delegation from the country’s youth and sports ministry plans to meet Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Issa Hayatou to examine a report by the Morocco health ministry into the possible dangers of hosting the event amid the Ebola crisis sweeping west Africa.
Last month the Moroccan government ordered a detailed report into the possibility that the tournament, scheduled to run from Jan. 17 to Feb, 8, might lead to the disease spreading.
More than 4,000 people have died from the highly contagious virus in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone but Morocco has not reported any cases.
Ironically, Morocco is on Saturday allowing Guinea to host their scheduled Nations Cup qualifier against Ghana in Casablanca because CAF has banned matches in that country.
The City also hosted Guinea’s first group E game against Togo.
It remains to be seen how CAF will react to this with less than four months to the event.