Ghana defeated hosts, Equatorial Guinea 3-0 in Thursday’s semi final in Malabo to qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations final due Sunday against Ivory Coast.

Ghana without striker Asamoah Gyan due to hip injury kept their cool when the match came to a standstill after fans had invaded the pitch to mingle with the stewards and security officials.


The ugly scenes took centre stage in the 82nd minute of second half after Jordan Ayew, Mubarak Wakaso and Andre Ayew had each scored for Ghana to put them 3-nil up against the hosts Equatorial Guinea.

Quarter final hero Javier Balboa of Equatorial Guinea was the first to go close as the hosts hunted for the opener. His free kick was later not converted by Captain Emilio Nsue in succession.


Equatorial Guinea goalkeeper Felipe Ovono was forced to tackle Ghana’s Kwesi Appiah off Christian Atsu’s through ball before referee Eric Arnaud Otogo-Castane awarded a penalty against the hosts.

Jordan Ayew, Asamoah Gyan’s replacement in the team slotted home to give Ghana the lead in the 42nd minute.


Just one minute into the added time of the first half, Mubarak Wakaso finished past Ovono when he met Christian Atsu’s ball from the left channel. Both sides went for the break Ghana leading 2-0.

Andre Ayew failed to convert from close range when John Boye knocked a free-kick back across goal at start of second half, Appiah got the better of opportunity when he deflected the ball past charging Ovono in the area in the 75th minute.

He later met the on the left in the penalty box to pass towards the centre of goal for an amazing tap-in by Andre Ayew. The apparently ended Esteban Becker’s impressive start with the Equatorial Guinea having taken up to the semi finals.

Chaos descended as the game in the 82 minute that needed intervention by the Army, Police with helicopters that hovered above as fans invaded the pitch from the stands.

The match came to a standstill, Referee Eric Otogo-Castane along with assistants Abdelhak Etchiali and Jerson dos Santos agreeing to put a halt on proceedings as security tried to stop fans from reaching the players.


There was reportedly some tear gas as Police tried to expel the fans and later the match resumed at 90 minutes with 3 minutes of added time.

The final whistle later went, Avram Grants booking final’s spot with Ivory Coast on Sunday in Bata. Hosts Equatorial Guinea will play for third place against DR Congo on Saturday in Malabo.

Deputy Editor at Kawowo Sports. He is an aspiring Sport Psychologist.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think