2018 University Football League:
Official kick off: Wednesday, 28th March
- Uganda Martyrs University, Nkozi Vs Bishop Stuart University
- At Buwama, Nkozi play ground (3 pm)
Thursday, 29th March 2018:
- IUIU vs KIU – IUIU Mbale grounds
The official opening match of the 2018 University Football League (UFL) takes center stage on Wednesday, 28th March at the Buwama based Nkozi campus.
The home team, Uganda Martyrs University (UMU), also the the defending champions will lock horns with boggy side, Bishop Stuart University.
UMU tactician Eric Kisuze believes the graduation of star player Douglas Owori to BUL football club in the Uganda Premier League was a big stepping stone to the growth of his team.
Kisuze, a CAF C licenced coach with expertise in handling young players noted;
When you sell out your top player, it is a win-win situation. The young ones coming up are always inspired in a way. It is exactly our case
Already, he boosts of five new signings Derrick Mudali, Douglas Ole, Joseph Sunday, Musa Mugoya and Umar Ssekandi.
Uganda Martyrs’ University (UMU) and Bishop Stuart University are joined in group D by Kampala International University (KIU) and Mbale based Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU).
IUIU replaced Makerere University that was suspended last season over crowd violence.
Group A has Gulu University, Uganda Christian University (UCU), Kumi University and Bugema University.
Entebbe based Nkumba University, Kampala University (KU), Busitema University and St Lawrence University complete group B.
In group C, it is Kyambogo University, Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), YMCA University and Makerere University Business School (MUBS).
The league was launched on Monday at Kati Kati restaurant in Kampala as Crown Beverages officially came on board as confirmed by their head of marketing, Brandon Ssemanda.
It is exciting to come back to one of the biggest leagues in the country.
Two weeks ago we were with motocross and for us it’s a statement to show our commitment to growing sport in the country
It was also announced that there will be an increase in the number of teams to 18 next season with the bottom four teams playing against four new universities for the two new slots.
The University Football league is popularly known for drawing large numbers of fans and a plat form to unearth fresh talents on board.
- A: Gulu University, Uganda Christian University (UCU), Kumi University, Bugema University
- B: Nkumba University, Kampala University (KU), Busitema University, St Lawrence University
- C: Kyambogo University, Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), YMCA University, Makerere University Business School (MUBS)
- D: Uganda Martyrs’ University (UMU), Kampala International University (KIU), Bishop Stuart University, Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU)