- Niger 2-1 Uganda Cranes
Uganda suffered their second consecutive loss in the three nation mini tournament in Niger on Saturday night.
Hosts Niger condemned Sebastien Desabre’s charges to a 2-1 loss at the Stade Général Seyni Kountché in Niamey city under flood lights in humid conditions.
A goal in each half from Ghana based midfielder Zakari Victorien Adje Adebayor inspired the home side to a memorable victory.
The International Allies FC attacking midfielder, who recently made a transfer from Niger top flight side Association Sportive des Gendarmerie Nationale Nigérienne (AS GNN), beat Denis Onyango twice, to grant the West African nation bragging rights over the CECAFA giants.
Roving right back and captain at Vipers Sports Club Nico Wakiro Wadada scored a late consolation after being set up by Albanian based striker, Yunus Sentamu.
Danish based winger Moses Opondo, who features at top flight side Vendsyssel Football Club, earned his maiden cap for Uganda Cranes when he started on the right flank and lasted for at least 80 minutes before injury cut short his industrious display and his place was taken by Farouk Miya.
Head coach Sebastien Desabre made four changes from the first line up that had lost 1-0 to Central African Republic.
Opondo started ahead of Milton Karisa, team captain Denis Onyango was named in goal ahead of Salim Jamal, Nico Wadada took over Dennis Iguma’s place at right back and Austrian based striker Edrisa Lubega commanded a starting slot ahead of Farouk Miya.
There will definitely be crucial talking points of the team’s performance in the two build up matches in preparation for the AFCON 2019 qualifiers against Tanzania (home) and Lesotho (away) in September 2018.
The team returns on Monday early morning.
Team Line Ups:
Dennis Onyango (GK), Nico Wakiro Wadada, Joseph Benson Ochaya, Timothy Denis Awanyi, Murushid Jjuuko, Khalid Aucho, Hassan Wasswa Mawanda, Moses Opondo, Allan Kateregga, Edrisa Lubega Emmanuel Okwi
Subs: Charles Lukwago (GK), Salim Jamal, Denis Iguma, Isaac Muleme, Bevis Mugabi, Tadeo Lwanga, Allan Kyambadde, William Kizito Luwagga, Milton Karisa, Muhammed Shaban, Yunus Sentamu, Farouk Miya
Uganda Cranes Games under Desabre:
- 2nd June 2018: Niger 2-1 Uganda (International Friendly)
- 30th May 2018: Central African Republic 1-0 Uganda (International Friendly)
- 27th March 2018: Uganda 0-0 Malawi (International Friendly Match)
- 24th March 2018: Uganda 3-1 Sao Tome and Principe (International Friendly Match)
- 22nd January 2018: Uganda 0-0 Ivory Coast (CHAN 2018)
- 18th January 2018: Uganda 0-1 Namibia (CHAN 2018)
- 14th January 2018: Zambia 3-1 Uganda (CHAN 2018)
- 10th January 2018: Uganda 0-1 Congo (International Friendly Match)
- 6th January 2018: Uganda 1-1 Guinea (International Friendly Match)