- Thursday, July 11, 2019
- Suez stadium, Stadium Kickoff 6pm (7pm EAT)
Old rivals Algeria and Cote d’Ivoire will rekindle their rival at Suez stadium on Thursday in the third quarterfinal of the Total 2019 Africa Nations Cup.
The two heavyweights have previously met seven times in AFCON tournaments with Cote d’Ivoire edging the Desert Foxes on three occasions against two wins while the rest have been stalemates.
The most recent meeting was a quarterfinal match in 2015 which the Les Elephants won 3-1 enroute to lifting the title.
What the coaches say:
Ibrahima Kamara (Cote d’Ivoire coach)
My team is always in battle mode and ready for all the games. We will give everything to win this match.
Both teams delivered great performance throughout the tournament but Algeria was better. Tomorrow’s match will determine who will win in terms of better performance in 90 minutes
Djamel Belmadi (Algeria coach)
Tomorrow’s game is very difficult and we have to win to qualify for the next round.
Cote d’Ivoire is one of the tournament’s favourites and they have a lot of players playing in huge leagues. We have to be a team that trusts in our own capabilities. Cote d’Ivoire won the tournament in 2015 and they have the experience.
The fans’ presence is very important and I thank them for coming to Egypt.
Algeria v Cote d’Ivoire Previous AFCON meetings
- 12.01.1968 Addis Ababa (Group stage) Cote d’Ivoire 3-0 Algeria
- 13.03.1988 Casablanca (Group stage) Cote d’Ivoire 1-1 Algeria
- 05.03.1990 Algiers (Group stage) Algeria 3-0 Cote d’Ivoire
- 13.01.1992 Ziguinchor (Group stage) Cote d’Ivoire 3-0 Algeria
- 24.01.2010 Cabinda (Quarterfinal) Cote d’Ivoire 2-3 Algeria
- 30.01.2013 Rustenburg (Group stage) Algeria 2-2 Cote d’Ivoire
- 01.02.2015 Malabo (Quarterfinal) Cote d’Ivoire 3-1 Algeria
Riyadh Mahrez, Ismael Bennacer, Soufiane Feghouli, and Adlane Guedioura will Algeria’s key players on the day while Les Elephants will hope Frank Kessie, Jonathan Kodjia and Wilfried Zaha are in fine mood on the evening.