Last year, Uganda women’s national sevens team fell to Kenya 29-7 in the final of the Africa Cup but mattered less as they had already punched their ticket to the 2019 World Rugby Women’s Sevens Series Qualifiers.
In ten days time, the team will again compete in the premier women’s sevens rugby tournament on the continent, this time with an Olympic Games ticket at stake.
The team, under Hellen Buteme, started preparations for the tournament over the weekend at King’s Park in Bweyogerere.
Agnes Nakuya of Thunderbirds and the Black Pearls duo of Racheal Mufuwa and Lydia Namabiro are the fresh faces on the team.
The tourney will take place from October 12-13, 2019 in Jemmal, Tunisia with 12 countries to compete including South Africa.
Participating Teams | Africa Zone
- South Africa
- Agnes Nakuya (Thunderbirds)
- Charlotte Thereza Mudoola (Black Panthers) – Captain
- Emilly Lekuru (Unattached)
- Flavia Agenorwot (Black Pearls)
- Gilder Azikuru (Black Pearls)
- Grace Auma (Black Pearls) – Assistant captain
- Immaculate Mufuwa (Black Pearls)
- Lydia Namabiro (Black Pearls)
- Mary Gloria Ayot (Black Pearls)
- Peace Mirembe (Black Panthers)
- Proscovia Ayero (Black Pearls)
- Racheal Mufuwa (Black Pearls)
- Head coach: Helen Koyokoyo Buteme
- Team manager: Phionah Nakatete
- Physiotherapist: Prossy Namusisi