2020 Uganda Ladies Golf Open:
Round 1: Thursday, November 26, 2020 – Uganda Golf Club, Kitante – Kampala
Wet course conditions await the golfers as the 2020 Uganda Golf Open series that officially swing off with the ladies championship on Thursday, November 26, 2020 at the par 72 Uganda Golf Club, Kitante in Kampala.
The wet course comes after the torrential rains that have fallen over the Kampala skies and the surrounding areas in the past weeks, including on the tournament eve.
A total of 32 gross female golfers will vie for the coveted prize that was claimed by Uganda Golf Club member Martha Babirye last year in Kigo.
In 2019, Babirye returned a combined gross score of 242 over 54 holes, a stroke better than the runner-up, Irene Nakalembe.
“I am mentally and physically ready to defend my crown. Fine, COVID-19 lockdown affected us and training was limited. I managed to practice for the past weeks,” Babirye, a handicap 4 golfer stated.
She will tee off at 11:15 am alongside Uganda Golf Club lady captain Anne Abeja and the veteran Jenina Nasimolo.
Her closest competitor Nakalembe also believes this is the time to capture silverware.
“I have been longing for this moment. I believe this is the moment to capture it,” Nakalembe, a member of Entebbe Club and the record winner of the Entebbe Ladies Open disclosed.
The handicap 3 golfer will tee off at 10:30 am alongside youngster Caroline Namutebi and Mackline Nsenga.
The field also has other competitors as Robina Angom, Monica Ntege, Loyce Bako, Harriet Kitaka, Lillian Koowe, Gertrude Acato, Phoebe Chandiru, Edrae Kagombe, Judith Komugisha, Rita Akot Apell, Peace Kabaswek, Prudence Nimukama, Evarlyne Asiimwe, Melon Komugisha, Diana Nambalirwa, Jinja club’s Catherine Pavie, Julia Nampewo, Regina Namata, Gloria Mbaguta, Lucia Alinda, Esther Okullo, Rebecca Muwanguzi, Resty Nalutaaya, Evah Magala, Sheila Kesiime, and Rita Mukisane.
The subsidiary event on this championship will also be held, starting Friday, 27th November 2020.
Unlike the previous editions, no foreign lady golfer registered for the 54 holes event that winds down on Saturday, 28th November 2020.
On the tournament eve (Wednesday, 25th November), there was a ceremonial tee off by the sponsors and partners with the official practice round cancelled.
The Uganda Golf Open is the signature event on the Uganda Golf Union calendar and this year’s championship will be held in compliance to the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) outlined in the brave mitigation struggle of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Regular sanitizing, hand-washing, wearing of face masks are some of the practices that will be emphasized to the dot.
Tee off Schedule:
- 9:00 am: Robina Angom, Monica Ntege
- 9:15 am: Loyce Bako, Harriet Kitaka, Lillian Koowe
- 9:30 am: Gertrude Acato, Phoebe Chandiru, Edrae Kagombe
- 9:45 am: Judith Komugisha, Rita Akot Apell, Peace Kabasweka
- 10:00 am: Prudence Nimukama, Evarlyne Asiimwe, Melon Komugisha
- 10:15 am: Diana Nambalirwa, Catherine Pavie, Julia Nampewo
- 10:30 am: Caroline Namutebi, Irene Nakalembe, Mackline Nsenga
- 10:45 am: Regina Namata, Gloria Mbaguta, Lucia Alinda
- 11:00 am: Esther Okullo, Rebecca Muwanguzi, Resty Nalutaaya
- 11:15 am: Martha Babirye, Anne Abeja, Jenina Nasimolo
- 11:30 am: Evah Magala, Sheila Kesiime, Rita Mukisane
- 2019: Martha Babirye (Uganda)
- 2018: Neema Olomi (Tanzania)
- 2017: Angel Eaton (Tanzania)
- 2016: Flavia Namakula (Uganda)
- 2015: Flavia Namakula (Uganda)
- 2014: Flavia Namakula (Uganda)
- 2013: Angel Eaton (Tanzania)
- 2012: Angel Eaton (Tanzania)
- 2011: Flavia Namakula (Uganda)
- 2010: Flavia Namakula (Uganda)
- 2009: Jasper Kamukama (Uganda)
- 2008: Melissa Nawa (Zambia)
- 2007: Mary Karano (Kenya)