As the Uganda Premier League and FUFA Big League football competitions take a pause, attention and focus switches to the 2021 Stanbic Uganda Cup of 32.
Unlike the other editions, this year’s championship will only be played by the top tier and second division clubs, clubs whose players have been tested for COVID-19.
Also, unlike in the previous editions of this knock out tournament, the teams will play a home and away right from the round of 32 through to the last 16, quarter-finals and semi-finals.
The round of 32 epic action kicks off on Monday, 5th April 2021 across the country with 7 matches.
2016 Uganda Cup winners Vipers will play Busoga United, another top flight club at the St Mary’s Stadium, Kitende.
Vipers head coach Fred Kajoba predicts a big contest despite having won 5-3 over the same side in late December 2020.
“This game will not be that easy, we beat them last December but a lot has changed in their team – they are good going forward and can be dangerous sometimes. So, we have to come hungrier and tougher than we did last time” Kajoba as quoted by the club website disclosed.
With a wide variety of players at his disposal, Kajoba and the rest of the technical team are spoilt for choice.
Yunus Ssentamu, Milton Karisa, Bobosi Byaruhanga and goalkeeper Denis Kiggundu who missed most the most recent 3-0 away win over UPDF are all back and available for selection.
These will be joined by the usual suspects Ibrahim Orit, Richard Basangwa, Livingstone Mulondo, Paul Mucureezi, Abraham Ndugwa and others.
Busoga United will rely on Uganda U-20 star Isma Mugulusi, goalkeeper Rogers Omedwa, defender Douglas Muganga, Anthony Mayanja, Shaka Ssozi, Paul Ssekulima, Sharif Kimbowa, Jeromy Kirya, Gerald Bagoole and Franco Balabala among others.
In the other matches lined up, defender Geofrey Wasswa could make his debut at Sports Club Villa during their home game against Ndejje University at Bombo Military Barracks stadium.
Abdallah Mubiru’s coached Police hosts Yumbe based FUFA Big League side Calvary at the MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo.
Mbarara based Terrazo and Tiles will face Maroons at Kakyeeka stadium, Onduparaka shall be home to Luweero United at the Aba Bet GreenLight Stadium in Arua.
Water hosts Wakiso Giants at Kavumba Recreational Stadium and Blacks Power will face BUL at the Emokori Stadium in Bukedea.
The rest of the matches in the first legs will be played on Tuesday, 6th April 2021 as well as on the subsequent day.
The successful winner of each fixture over the two legs (on aggregate) will qualify to the round of 16 stage.
This year’s edition is unique in a way that on every match day, there will be a televised live game.
Stanbic Bank as headline sponsors have been joined by paints gurus Kansai Plascon.
The tournament has been played since 1971. Proline won the 2019 edition and the 2020 version was incomplete because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The winner of the Stanbic Uganda Cup earns the rights to represent Uganda at the CAF Confederation cup.
First Leg Fixtures
Monday 5th April 2021:
- Vipers Vs Busoga United – St Mary’s Stadium, Kitende
- SC Villa Vs Ndejje University – Bombo Military Barracks Grounds (TV)
- Police Vs Calvary – MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo
- Terrazzo and Tiles Vs Maroons – Kakyeka Stadium, Mbarara
- Onduparaka Vs Luweero United – Green Light Stadium Arua
- Blacks Power Vs BUL – Emokori Stadium, Bukedea
- Water Vs Wakiso Giants – Kavumba Recreation Grounds
Tuesday 6th April 2021:
- Proline Vs MYDA – MTN Stadium Lugogo, Kampala (TV)
- Gadaffi Vs Mbale Heroes – Kyabazinga Stadium Bugembe, Jinja
- Kitara Vs Kigezi HomeBoyz – Kavumba Recreation Grounds
- Kyetume Vs Express – FUFA Technical Center Njeru
- Kataka Vs Tooro United – Mbale Municipal Stadium.
- URA Vs Mbarara City – Arena of Visions, Ndejje
Wednesday 7th April 2021:
- Paidha Black Angels Vs Soltilo Bright Stars – Bar Okoro grounds Zombo
- KCCA Vs Nyamityobora – MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo – Kampala City (TV)
- Arua Hill SC Vs UPDF – Barifa grounds Arua
Thursday, 8th April 2021:
- BUL Vs Blacks Power – Kyabazinga Stadium, Bugembe – Jinja City (TV)
Friday, 9th April 2021:
- Nyamityobora Vs KCCA – Kakyeka Stadium, Mbarara
- Maroons Vs Terrazo and Tiles – Prisons Stadium, Luzira
- Luwero United Vs Onduparaka – Kosovo Ground, Kasana
- Busoga United Vs Vipers – FUFA Technical Center, Njeru (TV)
- MYDA Vs Proline – King George Memorial Stadium, Tororo
- Mbarara City Vs URA – Kakyeka Stadium
- Wakiso Giants Vs Water – Kabaka Kyabagu Ground
- Kigezi Home Boyz Vs Kitara – Kabale Municipal Stadium
- Express Vs Kyetume – Mutesa II Wankulukuku Stadium
- Tooro United Vs Kataka – Buhinga Stadium
- Calvary Vs Police – Green Light Stadium
Sunday, 11th April 2021:
- Ndejje University Vs SC Villa – Arena of Visions
- Mbale Heroes Vs Gaddafi – Mbale Municipal Stadium (TV)
- UPDF Vs Arua Hill – Bombo Military Stadium Ground