2021 Stanbic Uganda Cup (Round of 32 – Return Leg)
- Mbale Heroes 1 – 0 Gaddafi (Aggregate: 1-1; Mbale Heroes progress 4-2 in post-match shoot-out)
There was great excitement in Mbale city as the home side Mbale Heroes Football Club progressed to the Stanbic Uganda Cup round of 16 after ejecting Jinja based Gaddafi.
Goalkeeper Hilbert Hatimu was the hero with a great save in the post-match penalty shoot at the Mbale Municipal Stadium on Sunday, April 11, 2021.
Normal time of the goal ended 1-0 in favour of the home side as experienced defender Musa Malunda scored the solitary goal to give the aggregate score 1-all.
Malunda’s goal arrived inside the first quarter of the game played by a capacity crowd at the newly regreened stadium.
Gaddafi introduced goalkeeper Paul Mujwapani for Muhammed Didi on the stroke of full time.
In the post-match penalties; only Lawrence Kasadha and captain Andrew Waiswa scored for Gaddafi past Hilbert Hatimu.
Ibrahim Kibumba, Musa Malunda, substitutes Peter Otai and Brian Olega scored for Mbale Heroes past Mujwapani.
Defender Faisal Najibu missed his kick as it razed off the cross bar.
Ronald Bithum Nsumbiano had his shot saved by the Mbale Heroes goalkeeper Hatimu after diving to his left to stop Bithum’s shot.
It was the first game for Mbale Heroes’ new coach Hussein Kheri after the sacking of Bobic Odowa.
Excited fans beat security and the perimeter fencing to join the Mbale Heroes players onto the playing area to celebrate.
They carried aloft the day’s hero Hatimu as the celebrations went on until the dark hours of the evening.
Sports Club Villa beat Ndejje University at the Arena of Visions with a 3-0 victory to progress 3-1 on aggregate since Ndejje University had won the first leg 1-0.
Come the return leg, Geofrey Waswa scored on his debut before Emmanuel Alex Wasswa and Ronald Ssekiganda were also on the score-sheet.
In the other game at Kavumba Recreational Stadium, Soltilo Bright Stars won 3-1 against visiting Paidha Black Angels to advance 3-2 on aggregate.
Paidha Black Angels, a side coached by Allan Kabonge Kivewala had won the first leg 1-0 at the Bar Okoro Stadium in Zombo district, West Nile.
Sulaiman Ssebunza opened the scoring with a well struck penalty before a brace by gangly striker Samuel Kayongo Ssekamatte sealed their victory.
With 15 clubs already assured of their berths in the round of 16, there are two fixtures that remain to determine the 16th club.
Kigezi Home Boyz will face Kitara during a two legged contest.
- UPDF 1-0 Arua Hill (Aggregate: 3-3; UPDF qualify on the away goals rule)
- SC Villa 3-0 Ndejje University (Aggregate: 3-1; SC Villa qualify)
- Soltilo Bright Stars 3-1 Paidha Black Angels (Aggregate: 3-2; Soltilo Bright Stars qualify)
- Nyamityobora 0-1 KCCA (Aggregate: KCCA wins 5-2)
- Tooro United 3-1 Kataka (Aggregate: Tooro United progressed 3-2)
- Express 1-0 Kyetume (Aggregate: Express wins 3-2)
- Wakiso Giants 3-1 Water (Aggregate: Wakiso Giants win 5-2)
- Police 5-1 Calvary (Aggregate: Police wins 10-1)
- Water 0-1 Onduparaka (Aggregate: Onduparaka wins 1-0)