Uganda Cup 2021 (Round of 16)

Return Leg: Vipers 1-1 UPDF (Vipers qualify 4-2 on aggregate)

Vipers Sports Club has become the first club to qualify for the quarterfinals of the 47th edition of Uganda Cup.

This followed a one-all draw with Uganda Peoples’ Defence Forces (UPDF) during the return leg at the round of 16 played at the St. Mary’s Stadium before largely empty terraces.

The visitors took the lead 10 minutes into the game, thanks to a brilliant and powerful header by defender Joseph Bright Vuni off Isa Mubiru’s well-executed corner kick.

Twelve minutes later, Vipers equalized, thanks to a direct corner kick by Uganda U-20 midfielder Bobosi Byaruhanga.

Before the opening goal, Vipers had a disallowed goal by Congolese striker Ceaser Manzoki for an offside, just two minutes into the game.

On five minutes, Allan Kayiwa twisted and turned UPDF right back James Begisa but his low delivery was missed by Manzoki.

Vuni jumped highest to nod home the opener off Mubiru’s curling corner kick after 10 minutes.

Byaruhanga executed a long diagonal ball from defence but Kayiwa in an off-side position in the 17th minute.

On the 22nd minute mark, Byaruhanga scored direct from the corner kick to bring the game level.

UPDF’s Ezikiel Katende (shirt 14) is closed down by Vipers during the return leg at St Mary’s Stadium (Credit: John Batanudde)

Three minutes later, Manzoki had a shot blocked. Rebound by captain Halid Lwaliwa off 40 yards was well tamed by UPDF goalkeeper Erick Kibowa.

Milton Karisa had a sweet one on one with Manzoki as the former broke inside the goal area. The pleas after being brought down were dismissed by referee Bakasambe.

On the half-hour mark, Charles Ssebutinde orchestrated a great run from the left flank, he shot straight to goalkeeper Fabian Mutombora.

Two minutes later, UPDF captain Denis Ssekitoleko cleared away Aziz Kayondo’s delivery from the left.

Manzoki missed from close range after a well-laid ball from Milton Kalisa on the right with 10 minutes left on the clock for the first half to end.

Former Vipers forward Davis Kasirye blasted over a free-kick from 35 yards after he had been brought down Byaruhanga.

UPDF skipper Denis Ssekitoleko recovered from a knock to soldier on as the opening stanza ended 1-all.

Milton Karisa takes on Katende (Credit: John Batanudde) Credit: John Batanudde

Upon restart of play for the final 45 minutes, Vipers resumed an energized entity.

Ssekitoleko reacted faster to block Abraham Ndugwa’s cross from the right but Ndugwa executed an unfruitful cross across the army side’s goal.

Kayiwa shot way off target in the 50th minute after cutting through from the left wing.

Two minutes later, UPDF left back Mubiru got booked by referee Bakasambe.

Moments later, Kayiwa had a free-kick fly over the UPDF goal.

UPDF technical bench called for three changes in the 55th minute.

Christopher Kamagu was rested for Arafat Kakonge, Paul Ruben Kabuye paved way for Alex Kitata and Davis Kasirye came out for Brian Kayanja.

Karisa had an energetic run to the bye-line to protect possession but Joseph Dhata got dispossessed by Mubiru.

UPDF midfielder Charles Ssebutinde (middle) dribbles during the game at St Mary’s Kitende (Credit: John Batanudde)

Kitata announced his arrival in the game when headed over a teasing cross by James Begisa from the right on the hour mark.

A minute later, Jamil Kalisa shot narrowly wide of UPDF’s goal before UPDF’s right back James Begisa executed an energetic run from right as Byaruhanga intercepted.

There was a double change for Vipers after 65 minutes with Jamil Kalisa coming off for Paul Mucureezi and Uganda U-20 international Najib Yiga taking over Allan Kayiwa’s place.

Moments later, Byaruhanga had a free-kick deflected for a fruitless corner kick.

Ndugwa had a beautiful chip that Manzoki headed towards ball but Paul Mucureezi but the latter was in an off-side position.

Ssekitoleko got an  injured head that required attention when he was bandaged.

The army side introduced young midfielder Ivan Kato for the hardworking defender Benard Muwanga inside the closing 20 minutes of the game.

Vipers called for three changes; Aziz Kayondo was rested for Disan Galiwango, Manzoki came out for Lawrence Tezikya and Ibrahim Orit was introduced for Milton Karisa in the final quarter of the game.

Vuni was well-positioned to defends well against Ndugwa in the 77th minute.

Substitute Tezikya had a header collected by goalkeeper Kibowa off a well-delivered free-kick by Byaruhanga.

Vipers thus qualified 4-2 on aggregate having won the first leg 3-1 away at the Army Military stadium in Bombo.

Meanwhile, the Uganda Cup returns on Tuesday, 4th May 2021 with more games in the round of 16 (second legs).

Team Line Ups:

Vipers XI: Fabian Mutombora (G.K), Joseph Dhata, Aziz Kayondo, Halid Lwaliwa (Captain), Livingstone Mulondo, Bobosi Byaruhanga, Milton Karisa, Jamil Kalisa, Abraham Ndugwa, Ceaser Manzoki, Allan Kayiwa


  • 65’ Jamil Kalisa OFF, Paul Mucureezi ON
  • 65’ Allan Kayiwa OFF, Najib Yiga ON
  • 71’ Aziz Kayondo OFF, Disan Galiwango ON
  • 71’ Ceaser Manzoki OFF, Lawrence Tezikya ON
  • 72’ Milton Karisa OFF, Ibrahim Orit ON

Subs Not Used: Bashir Ssekagya (G.K), Musa Ssali

Team Officials:

Head coach: Fred Kajoba Kisitu

Assistant coach: Paul Kiwanuka

UPDF XI: Erick Kibowa (G.K), James Begisa, Isa Mubiru, Denis Ssekitoleko (Captain), Joseph Bright Vuni, Bernard Muwanga, Christopher Kawagu, Charles Ssebutinde, Davis Kasirye, Ezekiel Katende, Paul Ruben Kabuye


  • 55’ Christopher Kamagu OFF, Arafat Kakonge ON
  • 55’ Paul Ruben Kabuye OUT, Alex Kitata ON
  • 55’ Davis Kasirye OUT, Brian Kayanja ON
  • 68’ Bernard Muwanga OUT, Ivan Kato ON

Subs Not Used: Yusuf Wasswa (G.K), Jessie Kajuba, Sam Kintu

Team Officials:

Head coach: Kefa Kisala

Assistant coach: Pius Ngabo

Match officials:

  • Referee: Rajab Bakasambe
  • Assistant Referee 1: Mustafa Mafumu
  • Assistant Referee 2: Richard Mugerwa
  • Fourth official: Charles Komakech
  • Match commissioner: Ali Waiswa

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think Cancel reply