CECAFA U-23 Challenge Cup 2021:
- Sunday, 18th July: Uganda 0-0 DR Congo
- Saturday, 17th July: Ethiopia 3-3 Eritrea
There is still no winner at the 2021 CECAFA U-23 Challenge Cup after the second match between Uganda and guests Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) ended goal-less at the Bahri Dar International stadium on Sunday.
The earlier game which marked the official kick off the championship witnessed hosts Ethiopia and rivals Eritrea share the spoils in a 6 goal thriller at the same venue.
Sunday’s early kick off duel had both countries fire blanks in a group A contest.
Uganda’s forward Derrick Kakooza missed from close range off captain Enock Walusimbi’s pass.
The CECAFA giants lost midfielder Steven Sserwadda through injury in the 38th minute.
Bright Anukani was introduced to fill the void left by Sserwadda.
On the 60th minute, forwards Kakooza and Steven Mukwala got rested for Najib Yiga and Samuel Ssenyonjo respectively.
15 minutes later, Abdallah Salim and Sadam Masereka were introduced for Julius Poloto and Karim Watambala respectively but to no avail.
The second game of the double header between Kenya and Djibouti kicked off at 4 pm.
Uganda plays traditional arch rivals Tanzania on Sunday, 25th July 2021.
Uganda XI: Charles Lukwago ( G.K), Enock Walusimbi (Captain), Azizi Kayondo, Musa Ramathan Peter Magambo, Bobosi Byaruhanga, Steven Sserwadda (38′ Bright Anukani), Karim Watambala (75′ Sadam Masereka), Julius Poloto (75′ Abdallah Salim), Derrick Kakooza (60′ Najib Yiga), Steven Mukwala (60′ Samuel Ssenyonjo)
Subs Not Used: Dennis Otim (G.K), Saidi Keni (G.K), Gavin Kizito, Ivan Bogere, George Kaddu, Hakim Kiwanuka, Kenneth Ssemakula
- Head coach: Morley Byekwaso
- Assistant coach: Simeon Massa
- Goalkeeping coach: Steven Billy Kiggundu
- Team Doctor: Emmanuel Nakabago
DR Congo XI: Brudel Efong Liyongo (G.K), Steven Ebuela, Christian Nlandu Nsundi, Maxi Mpia Nzengeli, Merveille Kikasa Wamba, Joel Beya Tumuteka, Karim Kiekie Kimvuidi, Henock Mangindula, Jacques Lyadi Mangoba, Kaluo Katumbwe Mokonzi, Kalonji Magloire Ntambwe (Captain)
Subs: Jonathan Ikanga Lombo Kapela (G.K), Joyce Kati Katulondi (G.K), Mawamu Katumbwe Ortinel, Apianom Kasereka Marcoche, Laurent Ntambwe Mwanza, Jean Othos Baleke, Christ Boba Kinsangala, Henock Kama Kamalandu, Benjamin Kabwe Wa Bantu, Rolly Wangu Balumbi, Ciel Ikoko Ebengo, Israel Mubobo Nkwa
- Head coach: Jean Claude Loboko
- Assistant coach: Guy Bukasa Mikakabu
- Goalkeeping coach: Paulin Nkonbe Tokalala
- Team Doctor: Jean Pierre Kakala Bungu
- Center Referee: Mogos Teklu Tesgay (Eritrea)
- 1st Assistant Referee: Eyobiel Micahel Gebru (Eritrea)
- 2nd Assistant Referee: Gassim Mader (South Sudan)
- Fourth Official: Malong Ring (South Sudan)
- Referee Assessor: Jean Claud Biramushahu (Burundi)
- Technical Study Group: Mohammed Omar Ali (Djibouti)
- Security officer: Stephen Kacumu (Uganda)
- Commissioner: Hassan Amir (Somalia)
- General Coordinator: Michael Belay Erimu (Ethiopia)
- Assistant General Coordinator: Yacoub Elmi (Djibouti)
- Media officer: Ramadhan Kibuga (Burundi)
- Doctor: Dr. Norman Bernard Sabuni (Tanzania)