The news that the Nile Special Rugby Premier League fixtures had been revised to the customary 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. kickoff times was warmly received by participating clubs and fans alike.
This starts with the upcoming matchday four which will be played mid-week on Wednesday during the national public holiday. Which is going to be a test of the clubs’ depth and quality this season, with some – five of the ten – missing their top talents who are away at the national sevens training camp.
Buffaloes vs Mongers (2pm) at Kyadondo Rugby Club
This is a proper mid-table battle between two teams who do not usually excite and challenge for trophies but are neither under threat of relegation.
- Team News: Andrew Olweny leads from the front row while Simon Wakabi will steer from the back field, the two experienced servicemen starting their second match this season.
- Previous Meetings: Mongers went top of the table after beating Buffaloes, 26-14, at home on matchday five last season.
- Match Official Allocation: Ronald Wutimber is the center referee with James Byaruhanga and Tonny Torach as his assistants. Dorothy Nekesa is the Match Commissar.
Heathens vs Warriors (4pm) at Kyadondo Rugby Club
Top of the table Heathens host bottom-placed Warriors.
- Team News: Warriors coach-player Gabriel Aredo returns after a week’s absence due to illness.
- Previous Meeting: Heathens kept Warriors scoreless in a 41-00 tie played at Kyadondo last season.
- Match Official Allocation: Sauda Adiru is the center referee, Juliet Nandawula and Elijah Massa are her assistants, and Aziz Mpora is the Match Commissar.
Jinja Hippos vs Rhinos (4pm) at Dam Waters Rugby Club
Rhinos visit a Hippos outfit that took their status as the team with a chance of picking up the scraps from the title challenge above them.
- Team News: Charles Onen has tough decisions to make this week as his Hippos have Kobs coming up on the weekend while Martial Tchumkam can focus on this task as there is an easier Rams tie ahead.
- Previous Meeting: Last season’s tie played in Jinja City was won, 24-03, by Hippos.
- Match Official Allocation: Raymond Kisekka is the center referee, with Emmanuel Olupot and Bashir Bakel as his assistants. Leonard Lubambula is the Match Commissar.
Black Pirates vs Impis (4pm) at King’s Park Stadium
Black Pirates have a new spring in their walk from Saturday while Impis appear too close yet so far from clinching their first win.
- Team News: In addition to being without their regular starters in the Sevens training camp, the hosts have shuffled their forwards around in new combinations.
- Previous Meeting: Black Pirates won the last meeting with Impis by 44-03 at Kings Park Stadium.
- Match Official Allocation: Gonzaga Mayanja is the center referee with Umar Balikanda and Emmanuel Sama as his assistants. Phiona Nakatete is the Match Commissar.
Kobs vs Rams (4pm) at Legends Rugby Club
Rams is the perfect team Kobs would have wished to face next after suffering back-to-back losses against their title challengers.
- Team News: Kobs are without Ian Munyani, Adrian Kasito and Karim Arinaitwe who are in camp with the national Sevens training squad.
- Previous Meetings: Rams hosted Kobs in the opener last season, after the venue was adjusted days to the match, but Kobs were victorious nonetheless, by 29-06 points.
- Match Official Allocation: Rosenberg Kanyunyuzi is the center referee. Her assistants will be Rachel Kakaire and Edward Kabagambe with Gary Mabonga as the Match Commissar.