The Uganda select football team (Fundi) left for the much publicized showcase in Spain on Friday morning aboard SN Brussels.
This team is a collection of players plying their trade in the Uganda Premier League and FUFA Big League.
Deputy Speaker of Parliament Rt. Hon. Anita Among officialy flagged off the delegation on Wednesday afternoon at Parliament urging the players to remain diligent, disciplined and focused.
“I urge you to remain disciplined. Work hard and remain focused. This is a big opportunity for you and the entire country. I wish you the very best as you show off your talents. Market yourself and the county as well” Hon. Among stated.
Among the traveling players included; Derrick Emukule, Ali Mwirusi, Simon Baligeya, Andrew Isiagi, Derrick Ndahiiro, Rashid Mukungu, Eric Ssenjobe, Enock Walusimbi, Nicholas Kabonge, Julius Poloto, Ivan Irinimbabazi, Alpha Thierry Ssali, Hakim Kiwanuka, Alfred Onek, Raymond Derrick Onyai and Ivan Ocholit.
Sports Club Villa defender Gavin Kizito Mugweri did not travel even after all his traveling details had been processed.
Kawowo Sports has established that he was allegedly blocked by the club ahead of the grueling league fixtures coming up at the start of the 2021-2022 Uganda Premier League second round.
KCCA’s Sadat Happy Anaku who is also part of the team alongside coach Richard Malinga travel on Friday evening.
The team will spend 10 days in Spain where they will be engaged in a series of build-up matches with clubs.
In Spain, they are expected to play a host of friendly matches.
This trip is organized by Festo Web Sports management group. The Government of Uganda leads the cast of sponsors who also include the Uganda Tourism Board (UTB), Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA), Ministry of Health (sponsored the COVID-19 tests) and others.
The Traveling Delegation:
- Goalkeepers: Derrick Emukule (Wakiso Giants), Ali Mwirusi (KCCA)
- Defenders: Simon Baligeya (URA), Andrew Isiagi (Police), Derrick Ndahiiro (URA), Rashid Mukungu (Free Agent), Eric Ssenjobe (Police), Enock Walusimbi (Express)
- Midfielders: Nicholas Kabonge (SC Villa), Julius Poloto (KCCA), Ivan Irinimbabazi (Soltilo Bright Stars), Alpha Thierry Ssali (Proline), Hakim Kiwanuka (Proline), Alfred Onek
- Forwards: Raymond Derrick Onyai (Kataka), Ivan Ocholit (Proline)
- Head coach: Omar Selli
- FUFA Representative: Bashir Mutyaba (FUFA Youth Development officer)
- MPS: Hon. Herbert Engura, John Paul Etyanga, Hon. Patrick Isiagi Opolot, Hon. Geofrey Ssolo Kayemba
- To travel on Friday: Sadat Happy Anaku (KCCA), Richard Malinga (Assistant coach)