KCCA Leopards 50-54 UCU Lady Canons (UCU lead series 2-0)
Falcons 66-78 Warriors (Series tied 1-1)

Warriors used a big second half to pin a 12 points loss to Falcons in game 2 of the ANBL playoff finals best of seven series.

Warriors (1-1) were edged out in the first quarter 20-18 and almost went ice cold in the second scoring 9 points going into half time trailing 27-31. Steven Omony (15 points, 11 rebounds) opened the third quarter for Falcons (1-1) from down town and Philip Ameny (18points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks) added a pair of points to take the Falcons up by 9 points early in the period. However, a couple of treys from Ivan Enabu (15 points, 5 assists and 8 steals) and Norman Blick (12 points, 9 rebounds) followed by a close look from Henry Malinga (17 points) brought Warriors within 1 (39-40) with 6:30. Norman added a go-ahead lay-up on the next possession as Warriors erupted for 29 third quarter points and did not trail again. “I told the guys we have to play like we need the game and they responded” Warriors’ coach, Mandy Juruni said on his team’s turn around in the second half. Warriors spurt continued in the fourth quarter and with 8:30, Malinga’s AND 1 blew Warriors lead into double digits and hovered around double figures to the final buzzer.

After defending superbly in the game 1, Falcons’ defense was completely torn into threads in the second half of game 2. Malinga dominated the inside and every Warrior who wanted to take a close look in the second half did. “The desire to defend died out but they (Warriors) also played with a lot of speed” Gad Eteu said. Ronnie Kasewu (13 points) and Norman Blick did a lot of defensive work on Omony and allowed him just 3 points in the second half and they came early in the third frame. Steven Tumwesigye scored 9 points and picked 6 rebounds to lead Falcons’ bench for a second game in a row. Falcons battered Warriors on the glass 49-37 but were undone by slippery hands committing 29 turnovers and their inability to shoot from the line where they went 12-for-29 and the failure to defend the 3-point line surely did not do them any good. Game three action returns to YMCA on sunday evening.

Meanwhile UCU Lady Canons survived a game high 24 points and 13 rebounds from KCCA’s Martha Soigi, whose final two shots drew steel but elicited no joy for the former champions. Thanks to clutch play from point guard, Angella Namirimu, whose 6 points in the last minute of the game gave UCU Lady Canons a 54-50 edge over KCCA Leopards in a close game 2 contest that tied 4 times in the last quarter.

With 1:33 to the final buzzer and Leopards (0-2) leading 47-45, UCU’s Moreen Amoding (13 points) was sent to the line, hit one throw and Lorraine Akiny (13 points) gave Lady Canons (2-0) a go-ahead from a close look with 1:12. On in-bounding, KCCA turned the ball over, UCU went on a break and Namirimu was sent to the line for an AND1 and increased UCU’s lead to 51-47 with 59 seconds. KCCA’s coach, Timothy Odeke called for a time-out and on return, Carol Nantalo knocked down a 3-ball to pull Leopards within 50-51 with 38 seconds. UCU’s coach Boniface Okello called for a time-out and there after Namirimu took over from the line sinking 3 of the 4 throws on two separate trips to put the game away from Leopards.

Franklin Kaweru

Franklin Kaweru is the Editor in Chief of Kawowo Sports. He is an ardent basketball enthusiast.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think