Sadolin Paints 1-2 SC Villa (Abandoned after 80 Minutes)

For the second time running in the first round, tear gas was fired at Bugembe Stadium in the course of a Uganda Premier League fixture to disperse rowdy football fans.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, Sports Club Villa were leading 1-2 over home team, Sadolin Paints Football club when the angry home fans pelted stones and other objects onto the playing area.

Anti-riot policemen who were alert following a similar incident from the fans in the opening half of the game quickly intervened and fired tear gas in the air to disperse the rowdy fans who wanted to beat up the match referees.

Before the match was abandoned, the home side took a quick 1st minute lead through tricky striker, Fred Ssegujja who easily beat SC Villa 3 man back line for pace before firing past Nicolas Ssebwato in SC Villa’s goal posts.

By that time, SC Villa head coach, Sam Ssimbwa was just settling on the team bench as he delayed to enter the stadium.

By the 10th minute, Sadolin F.C anchorman, Peter Katumba missed doubling the lead with a close range chance that he fired wide after being set up by Segujja.

Like fate would dictate, SC Villa’s left back, Fred Nkata limped out just after a quarter of action and was replaced by Andrew Kaggwa.

Kaggwa’s introduction called for the visitors’ eminent change in strategy – from a high line defense to a traditional 4 man formation with Derrick Walulya occupying the left.

Trouble Brews:

A minute to the half hour mark, Hassan Wasswa’s high ball in the direction of the Sadolin goal fell in the path of Erias Ssekisambu whose chest control ‘seemed’ to have had contact with his shoulder.

The now settled ball was perfectly drilled in the back of the net for SC Villa’s equalizer.

The goal prompted fully charged Sadolin Paints fans to throw stones, sticks and mineral water bottles onto the playing area and referee Ssenkumba temporarily called off the game.

After 10 minutes, calmness was restored and play resumed and it was not long when half time came knocking.

The two team captains; Yesseri Waibi (BUL F.C) and S.C Villa’s Steven Bengo (extreme right) with the match officials prior to kick off at Bugembe Stadium.

The second stanza of the game belonged to SC Villa with David Bagoole, skipper Steven Bengo and Hassan Wasswa’s midfield creating chance after chance.

Towering striker Karim Ndugwa scored his 8th goal of the campaign, SCVilla’s second on the day after 65 minutes.

The visitors looked comfortable with long spells of possession until the 79th minute when fans intensified their acts of violence with continuous throwing of stones and other objects towards the direction of the 4th official, Titus Opio and the SC Villa team bench.

At this time, anti-riot Policemen fired tear canisters to disperse the rowdy fans.

About 10 fans suffered injuries as everyone ran for dear life. The match thus ended prematurely.

This is the second match at Bugembe Stadium to end in tear gas after the Sadolin Paints – Kira Young fixture.

Also, it is SC Villa’s second match to abort after crowd violence.

The first being the 2-1 SC Villa victory over Express at Wankulukuku in October (abandoned after 85 minutes).

The Uganda Premier League is expected to come up with the ruling for the abandoned match at Bugembe.

Sadolin Paints F.C:
Muhammed Didi (G.K), Joseph Ssemwogerere, Yasseri Waibi (C), Junior Mukisa, Paul Kisige, Daniel Ekuyu, Peter Katumba, Ronald Lukungu, Fred Ssegujja,Andrew Basooma,Anthony Baize.
Tadeo Mwese (G.K), Desmond Kyobe, Nasser Nsubuga, Alex Sserunjogi, Martin Mugabi, Farouk Muzaale, Suudi Kayemba.
Nicolas Ssebwato (G.K), Musa Doka, Fred Nkata, Fahad Kawooya, Hassan Wasswa, David Bagoole, Erisa Ssekisambu, Karim Ndugwa, Steven Bengo, Victor Emenayo
Ali Kimera (G.K), Andrew Kaggwa, Isaac Kirabiira, Suliaman Majanjalo, Titus Lubega

David Isabirye is a senior staff writer for Kawowo Sports where he covers most of the major events.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think Cancel reply