Zone 5 World championship qualifiers:
- 6th – 13th July 2017
- At Amahoro Indoor stadium, Kigali – Rwanda
Uganda is among the 10 countries set to take part in the upcoming Zone 5 World Championship qualifiers set to take place at Amahoro Indoor stadium in Kigali, Rwanda.
The hosts are expected to be joined by Egypt, Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan and Tanzania for the week long tournament set for July 6-13, 2017.
The tournament was initially scheduled for June 15-18, but pushed ahead.
Rwanda volleyball team coach Paul Bitok has released a provisional 18-man squad ahead of the championship.
Rwanda Volleyball Federation Executive Secretary, Christian Hatumimana, indicates that they have started on the technical aspects.
The continental body, Confederation of African Volleyball (CAVB) will however have to approve the dates and teams confirmed for the event.
Hatumimana is quoted by New Times;
We are waiting for CAVB to confirm the teams that are coming for the competition but in the meantime, our team has started non-residential training, it will go into residential camp two weeks before the tournament
Rwanda also hosted this event two years ago, finishing runners up to the champions, Egypt.
Rwanda’s provisional team:
- Liberos: Bosco Mutabazi and Emile Karera
- Left attackers: Yves Mutabazi, Christophe Mukunzi, Patrick Kavalo, Flavien Ndamukunda and Olivier Ntagengwa.
- Right attackers: Nelson Murangwa, Lawrence Guma Yakan and Samuel Tyson Niyogisubizo.
- Centers: Fred Musoni, Placide Madison Sibomana, Pierre Marshal Kwizera, Fabrice Nkezabahizi and Guillaume Irakarama.
- Setters: Ivan Mahoro Nsabimana, Herve Kagimbura and Rene Cyusa