CAF U-20 Qualifiers (2nd Round, 2nd Leg):
- Cameroon Vs Uganda – Yaounde
There has been virtually no time to rest for the Uganda national U-20 team (The Hippos) as the return leg of the CAF U-20 second round qualifiers comes knocking in a few days’ time.
On Monday, the team resumed a double session at the Africa Bible University (ABU) campus where they are camped in a residential setting.
This followed Saturday’s slim 1-0 win against the well-built West Africans.
For starters, Uganda scored through striker Steven Mukwala’s 44th minute goal to win the game played on the Lugogo astro turf in Kampala.
The head coach Mathias Lule is hopeful they will earn a decent result away from home and qualify for the next stage against Mali.
We had a target to score and never concede at home. We shall still play to get an away goal during the return leg and avoid to concede at all times.
Proline goalkeeper Saidi Keni was on the top of his game, denying Nice young forward Ignatius Kpene Ganago on several occasions.
Uganda will welcome back KCCA left back Mustafa Kizza, who has been suspended for two games following a red card in the first leg of the opening encounter with neighbours, South Sudan.
Kizza has also missed the return leg away to South Sudan in Juba as well as the first leg with the Cameroonians.
His experience of playing with KCCA in the CAF Champions league remains a key component for the Ugandans.
Team captain Julius Poloto and Allan Okello are the other players with CAF Champions league experience on the current Hippos side.
The trio will join the rest of the players after KCCA’s CAF Champions’ league match with Al Alhy on Tuesday at Mandela National Stadium, Namboole.
The Uganda U-20 team is expected to depart the country on Wednesday.
Some of the Uganda U-20 players in Camp at Lubowa:
- Goalkeepers: Saidi Keni (Proline), Denis Otim (Mbarara FC), Dennis Darren Ssebugwawo (Telesa, Mutundwe)
- Right backs: Paul Willa (Police), Fred Okot (URA)
- Left Backs: Robert Kitabalwa (St Mary’s Kitende S.S), Herbert Achai (Kibuli S.S and KCCA Junior Team)
- Central Defenders: Mustafa Mujuzi (Proline), Geofrey Wasswa (Vipers), Bashir Asiku (Vipers)
- Midfielders: Abubaker Kasule (Unattached), Ivan Eyam (Amus College and Ktaka FC), Frank “Zaga” Tumwesigye (Vipers), Faisal Ssekyanzi (St Mary’s Nabweru), Raymond Onyai (Kataka)
- Forwards: Steven Mukwala (Vipers), Hamisi Tibita (BUL)
Three KCCA Expected in Camp on Tuesday evening:
- Allan Okello, Mustafa Kizza, Julius Poloto (Team Captain)