Ugandan runners Jacob Kiplimo and his younger brother Oscar Chelimo impressed after finishing first and third at the Campaccio cross country in Italy on Sunday.
Kiplimo beat Italian marathon record holder Eyob Faniel Gebrehiwet and this year’s Italian cross country champion, Iliass Aouani to the tape depite having stumbled in the ninth kilometre.
Faniel and Aouani set the early pace in the men’s 10 km, closely followed by Kiplimo, Nebret Melak, Mogos Tuemay, Chelimo, Yohannes Chiappinelli plus Cesare Maestri.
By the third kilometre mark, the leading group, was still being headed by Tuemay and Melak but Kiplimo launched his attack, opening up a three-second lead over the former at eight kilometres.
Depite stumbling thereafter, Kiplimo’s quick recovery meant he was to cross the tape in 29:07 for his second cross country truimph in Italy after the the Cinque Mulini in 2018.
Melak reached the finish line second in 29:10 with Chelimo, Kiplimo’s younger brother, completing the podium in 29:14.
Tsehay Gemechu (19:03) from Ethiopia won the women’s 6km race beating runner up Kenya’s Lilian Rengeruk (19:06) and colleague Tsige Haileselase (19:56).
2021 Campaccio cross country results
- Tsehay Gemechu (Ethiopia) 19:03
- Lilian Rengeruk (Kenya) 19:06
- Tsige Haileselase (Ethiopia) 19:56
- Francine Nyomukunzi (Burundi) 20:08
- Addisalem Belay Tegegn (Ethiopia) 20:13
- Francesca Tommasi (Italy) 20:15
- Likina Amebaw (Ethiopia) 20:22
- Giovanna Selva (Italy) 20:31
- Alice Gaggi (Italy) 21:16
- Gaia Colli (Italy) 21:34
- Jacob Kiplimo (Uganda) 29:07
- Nibret Melak (Ethiopia) 29:10
- Oscar Chelimo (Uganda) 29:14
- Eyob Faniel (Italy) 29:53
- Mogos Tuemay (Ethiopia) 29:55
- Iliass Aouani (Italy) 30:01
- Yohannes Chiappinelli (Italy) 30:40
- Cesare Maestri (Italy) 30:51
- Jacopo Brasi (Italy) 31:12
- Andrea Palumbo (Italy) 31:14