2021 Rwenzori Golf Open (Top Performers):
- Overall winner: Winner Joseph Cwinyaai (140)
- Juniors: Damian Asiimwe (56 Nett)
- Gross winner Ladies: Peace Kabasweka (76)
- Professionals: Ronald Rugumayo (132)
- 55-65: Peter Obita (71 Nett)
- 66 +: Abdul Mayanja (76 Nett)
The 2021 Rwenzori Golf Open successfully concluded at the 9 hole Tooro Golf Course in Fort Portal.
Home bred golfers had a field day at office with triumphs in the various categories.
Uganda Golf national team captain Joseph Cwinyaai was the overall best performer with a combined score of 140 gross over 36 holes.
Denis Asaba, another national team player was runner up with 141 gross.
Peace Kabasweke was the best in the gross category (ladies) with 76 gross whilst Ronald Rugumayo putted his way to victory with a course-8 score of 132 in two rounds in the professionals category.
Another Fort Portal based junior golfer, Damian Asiimwe, 14, championed the juniors ranks with 56 nett.
The student of AFRIYEA golf academy set a new course record with a net score of 54 (14 under par at the par 70 course).
Assimwe beat his rival Simon Businge who is also a student at AFRIYEA golf academy with 7 strokes.
This was Damian’s first major win and he said that he is going to use this experience to win many more tournaments.
“I was happy to win the equity tournament and my efforts paid off because I trained so hard for it, my special thanks go to all the coaches and my mum who financed me to play this event,” he noted.
The tournament attracted a total of 105 players from across the country inclusive of the top Uganda professionals and amateurs on the list of professions were the eventual winner Rugumayo, Deo Akope, Herman Mutebi, Lawrence Muhenda, Fred Wanzala, Robert Happy, David Kamulindwa, Adolf Muhumuza among others.
Cwinyaai the winner of the gross category thanked all his supporters for believing in him always and he further thanks Tooro club and AFRIYEA for starting a golf academy that is aiming at creating the new crop of young golfers in the country.
The event had big names like JB Tumusiime who was the chief guest.
Tumusiime lauded the main sponsors for bank-rolling this event as he also called upon the Tooro club members in making the wise decisions when the club holds its Annual General Meeting (AGM) this Saturday, 27th March 2021.
- Winner: Joseph Cwinyaai (140)
- Runner up: Denis Asaba (141)
- Winner: Damian Asiimwe (56 Net)
- Runner up: Simon Businge (63 Net)
- Winner: Peter Obita (71 Net)
- Runner up: Charles Kagombe (72 Net)
66 years +
- Winner: Abdul Mayanja (76 Net)
- Runner up: Gilbert Mujogya (77 Net)
Group A Men:
- Winner: Joseph Tusiime (63 Net)
- Runner up: Denis Lulangwa (67 Net)
Group B Men:
- Winner: Mackinon Masereka (64 Net)
- Runner up: Goodluck Sempa ( 69 Net – Countback Johnson Dairo)
Group C Men:
- Winner: Martin Tuhumwire (70 Net)
- Runner up: Mathius Okwir (71 Net)
- Winner: Peace Kabasweka (76)
Ladies Group A (6-18 Handicaps)
- Winner: Lucia Alinda (70 Net)
- Runner Up: Lillian Koowe (71 Net)
Ladies Group B (19-36 Handicaps)
- Winner: Florence Ihunde (60 Net)
- Runner Up: Kate Muganga (70 Net)
- Men: Denis Otim
- Ladies: Nambagirwa
Nearest to pin:
- Men: Herbert Kaihura
- Ladies: Florence Ihunde
- Bernard Maniraguha (Mbarara sports club)