2021 Uganda Golf Club Lady’s Captain Prize (Overall winners):
- Men: Michael Muhangi – 48 Points
- Women: Caroline Kamusiime Muhwezi – 41 Points (Countback)
The 2021 Uganda Golf Club (UGC) Lady’s Captain Prize tournament was successfully held at the par 72 golfing facility in Kampala.
Michael Muhangi returned a total of 48 points to emerge as the male’s best.
Rukiga district woman Member of Parliament (MP) Hon. Caroline Kamusiime Muhwezi was the female overall winner with 41 points, winning on countback.
Hon. Kamusiime attributed her success to continuous hours dedicated in training on the course with the help of professional Deo Akope.
“I am very happy having won the Lady Captain’s Prize tournament. I have played golf for two years now and I train everyday with the help of Pro Deo Akope. I encourage each and every one to come and play this game especially the women” Kamusiime who also earned Shs 1,000,000 on her investment account courtesy of Britam Insurance disclosed.
Both Muhangi and Kamusiime each were rewarded with giant Sayona branded refrigerators, air tickets to any destination of their choices and trophies apiece.
The championship marked the official reign of an era for Uganda Golf Club Lady Captain Anne Abeja who handled over the baton to Grace Kabonera.
This tournament was originally supposed to have been held in 2020 but was pushed ahead because of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Abeja lauded the all the stake holders in equal measure for having enabled her tenure successfully.
“This tournament is very special to me because it marks the end of an era of the Lady Captainship. I thank all the previous lady captains. It is on the shoulders of these giants that I managed to win” Abeja who shed tears in remembrance of her fallen father noted.
“I thank all the sponsors and partners that we have worked with over the years. As I sign out, I warmly welcome on board the in-coming Lady Captain, Grace Kabonero and her entire executive. A true mark of any leader is having a worthy successor. I have found one in Kabonero.” She added.
Other top performers:
Dr. Katty Kabenge championed group A with 41 points ahead of Jenina Nasimolo (40 points).
Gertrude Kityo toppled group B with 41 points ahead of the out-going lady captain Abeja (39 points) whilst Peace Muyege came third with 38 points.
In group C, Connie Mukuru scored 36 points ahead of Babirye Kityo (35 points) and Eva Lwanga (35 points).
Uganda national team player Ibra Bagalana was the best in group A with 43 points ahead of David Nambale (40 points). Nambale was second on countback ahead of Silver Rugamba.
Kelvin Liu championed group B with 41 points (on countback) ahead of Aaron Ecel and Conrad Odere who both scored 41 points apiece.
In group C (men), Ethan Niragire scored 42 points, two ahead of Collins Apuoyo and Fred Magala.
Monica Ntege and George Egaddu excelled in the seniors category with 37 points and 40 points respectively.
Rebecca Muwanguzi was the outstanding guest female golfer with 41 points whilst Prudance Nimukama completed with 40 points.
Abeja and Haria Vishay won the female and male longest drive contests respectively.
In the nearest to the pin contest, Judith Komugisha was the best female and Dr. Alex Coutinho won the male event.
Rebecca Nampamba was the piga mingi victor.
Some of the supportive partners for this event were MTN Uganda, Uganda Breweries Limited (under Tusker Malt Lager), Kigambira Lodges, Uganda Airlines among others.
The new UGC Lady Captain Grace Kabonero will be deputized by Charity Opolot. Agatha Abaho is secretary whilst Rhoda Kimera is treasurer.
Aidah Kemisi is public relations officer, Judith Komugisha (lockeroom manager) and Bridget Nakamoga as the handicap competitions secretary.
- Men: Michael Muhangi – 48 Points
- Women: Caroline Kamusiime – 41 Points (Countback)
Group A – Index 12 and Below:
- Winner: Katty Kabenge – 41 Points
- Runners up: Jenina Nasimolo – 40 Points
Group B – Handicap Index 13 -24:
- Winner: Gertrude Kityo – 41 Points
- Runners up: Anne Abeja – 39 Points
- Third: Peace Muyege – 38 Points
Group C – Handicap Index 25-36:
- Winner: Connie Mukuru – 36 Points
- Runners up: Babirye Kityo – 35 Points
- Third: Eva Lwanga – 24 Points
Group A – Handicap Index 9 and Below:
- Winner: Ibra Bagalana – 43 Points
- Runners up: David Nambale – 40 Points (Countback)
- Third: Silver Rugamba – 40 Points
Group B – Handicap Index 10-18:
- Winner: Kelvin Liu – 41 Points (Countback)
- Runners up: Aaron Ecel – 41 Points
- Third: Conrad Odere – 41 Points
Group C – Handicap Index 19-28:
- Winner: Ethan Niragire – 42 Points
- Runners up: Collins Apuoyo – 40 Points
- Third: Fred Magala – 40 Points
- Lady Winner: Monica Ntege – 37 Points
- Men Winner: George Egaddu – 40 Points
- Lady Winner: Rebecca Muwanguzi – 41 Points
- Runners up: Prudance Nimukama – 40 Points
- Winner – Men: Adiga J – 44 Points
- Runners up: Adrapi J – 40 Points
- Women: Anne Abeja
- Men: Haria Vishay
Nearest to the Pin:
- Women: Judith Komugisha
- Men: Alex Coutinho
Piga Mingi: Rebecca Nampamba