South Africa came from behind on two occasions to draw 2-2 at the Moses Mabhida Stadium with the Atlas Lions of Morocco to advance to the quarter finals of the 2013 Africa Nations Cup

Two stunning goals, from May Mahlangu and Siyabonga Sangweni, saw Bafana Bafana level matters against Morocco in a drama-filled cracker of a game that was their last in group A.

Morocco began the game the better of the two sides and with just two minutes into the game Morocco’s Youssef Kaddioui had a strike from range when the ball spun out to him following a corner kick. But his shot went wide of goal.

Two minute later, South Africa goalie Khune made a fantastic save on the edge of his area as he sped forward to close down Youssef Al Arabi before he could get a clear shot on goal.

in the 10th minute, Morocco won a corner. The corner was swung in and Issam El Adoua rose highest to head in under the crossbar as Khune was caught in no man’s land, having come out but not made contact with the ball.

The hosts first real attack in the game came in the 26th minute when they put together a better run of passing and an attacking move ended in a shot by Bernard Parker. A minute later Parker got into an even better position, but this time his shot flashed wide of the upright, in a period if improved play by the home team.

It was however Morocco who almost added a second on the day. In the 45th minute Bafana were caught on the counter attack and Chafni beat the offside trap to run through one on one with Khune. But the keeper had come out a long way and made a fantastic tackle to avert the danger.

Even after the break, Morocco continued to pile pressure and Khune made a world class save in the 60th minute when he bravely came out to save from El Arabi who was through on goal with time to pick his shot.

With South Africa struggling to find the breakthrough in a packed Moroccan defence, it was always going to take something special and special it was. May Mahlangu’s equalising goal in the 70th minute was out of the top draw.

After a few short passes on the edge of the area, Mahlangu picked up the ball turned, opened his body and curled a right footed shot into the far top corner of goal.

But twelve minutes later Hafdi pulled one back with a composed volley and Morocco had their tails up again.

Then Sangweni popped up in attack, cut inside onto his right foot and coolly put the ball into the far corner of goal.

With Cape Verde stunning much fancied Angola with a 2-1 defeat, the hosts topped the group with five points while the Blue Sharks finished second on the same points. Morocco exited the competition on three points.

Senior Staff writer at Kawowo Sports mainly covering football

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think