A total 10 Ugandan players were meant to travel to Nairobi for this weekend’s Real Insurance Kenya Open but, the pair of Moses Otiti and Daniel Ruyange withdrew at the eleventh hour. “I failed to get to funds for my trip,” Ruyange told Kawowo Sports on Wednesday evening.
Ruyange was supposed to patner with his brother Duncan Mugabe in the men’s doubles. “It’s sad I won’t make it but I know he (Mugabe) will triumph again.”
Whereas Ruyange’s reason is clear, Otiti, who was supposed to lead Team Uganda, pulled out on uncertain grounds. “I have personal problems that held me back,” in a low dispirited tone Otiti said. He lost at the first round to Rwanda’s Olivier Nkunda last year and this is the first time Otiti will miss the tournament in five years. “I am really upset because I have put in a lot of time in training together with my colleagues,” the 30-year-old added before bidding farewell to the traveling contingent of 16-year-old Borris Aguma, Charles Okurut, Simon Ayella, Paul Ssekandi, Richard Manyali and Richard Ssemanda.
The cricket cum tennis duo had already been seeded in the main draw which starts on Monday. David Oringa, who is now set to lead the contingent and reigning champion Duncan Mugabe, will join their teammates on Saturday.
TEAM UGANDA FOR KENYA OPEN:
Duncan Mugabe, David Oringa, Charles Okurut, Simon Ayella, Paul Ssekandi, Borris Aguma, Richard Manyali and Richard Ssemanda