Police FC (Rwanda) 1-1 KCC FC (Uganda) – Police win 4-2 on penalties

Uganda’s representatives KCC FC finished fourth at the CECAFA Kagame Cup 2014 after losing 4-2 on penalties to Rwanda’s Police FC in a third place play off played at Amahoro stadium on Sunday afternoon. 

The two sides settled for a 1-1 draw in the 90 minutes with Jimmy Mbaraga scoring for Police FC in the first half and then Umony for KCC FC in the second.

KCC FC thought they had taken the lead in the seventh minute when Derrick Nsibambi slotted home but goal was disallowed for an earlier foul on defender Fabrice Twagizimana by Brian Umony.

In the 18th minute, Tom Masiko hit a fierce free kick over the wall but it was well dealt with by goalie Marcel Nzarora.

Police FC’s first real scare on KCC FC’s goal came in the 20th minute when Kipson Atuheire chest controlled a Jacques Tuyisenge cross before shooting direct at Elungati.

In the 26th minute, Umony shot inches wide after being played through by William Wadri.

In the 34th minute, Police FC took the lead through Jimmy Mbaraga who intercepted Isiagi’s back pass before beating captain Sakka Mpiima inside the 16 yard to slot home past a hapless Elungati.

Five minutes later, Elungati gave away a free kick after handling the ball outside his area but Mwemere Ngirishuti hit the wall and Elungati saved from his rebound kick.

The last chance of the half fell to KCC FC in the 43rd minute but Umony shot over the bar from a free kick after he was fouled.

Both coaches made immediate changes after recess with Cassa Mbugo bringing on Bosco Jean Uwacu for Kipson Atuheire while Nsimbe replaced Isiagi with enterprising midfielder Brian Majwega.

KCC FC got the breakthrough in the 49th minute when Brian Umony tap into an empty net after a mix up in the Police FC’s backline.

Twagizimana hit the ball straight at the goalkeeper after a good cross from Wadri and Nzarora’s clearance fell at the foot of Umony who made no mistake but net his fifth goal of the tournament.

KCC FC came close again through Umony but Nzarora was up to the task.

The Lugogo based side got a blow when Majwega who had just come on a substitute got injured and withdrawn for Owen Kasule.

The ex-URA FC midfielder nearly got a second goal for KCC FC seconds after coming home but Nzarora parried his shot away for a corner after a neat back heel pass from Umony.

Despite a late surge from both sides in search for a winner but final whistle from Somali referee Hassan Mohammed came without any leaving penalties to decide who takes third place.

Umony and Masiko who missed in their kicks in the loss to El Merriekh FC in the semis converted this time only for Habib Kavuma and Richard Kasagga to miss with the latter’s hitting a cross bar.

Police FC converted all their four kicks through Jacques Tuyisenge, Fred Ndaka, Jean Uwimana and Eric Ngendahimana.

The Cops won the $ 10,000 prize money that comes with finishing third.

KCC FC Line Up:

Martin Elungati (GK), Sakka Mpiima (C), Simon Namwanja, Ronnie Kisekka, Richard Kasagga, Hakim Ssenkumba, Daniel Isiagi Opoloti (Brian Majwega/Owen Kasule), Tom Masiko, Brian Umony, Derrick Nsibambi (Habib Kavuma) and William Wadri. 

Senior Staff writer at Kawowo Sports mainly covering football

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think