Kataka 0-0 Entebbe (Aborted after Kataka was suspiciously awarded penalty)

For the umpteenth time in the FUFA Big League, a match has been marred by counter allegations of biased officiating, crowd violence, bitter walk-outs and eventual match abandonment.

[/media-credit] Kataka Football Club XI that faced Hope Doves at Mutesa II Stadium, Wankukukuku Credit:

Over the weekend, Entebbe Football Club players bitterly walked off the Nabini playground, 15km from Mbale town.

Entebbe players complained about a penalty decision taken by the referee that they believed was wrongfully awarded.

By the time of the abandonment, the game was still goalless and the penalty was not taken.

A bitter Entebbe F.C official, Ken Ssimbwa challenged FUFA to put the house in order.

“We played under very challenging conditions. The field was appalling, refereeing suspect and you call that developing football. FUFA should come up and clean this mess”

This match came 5 days after Mbarara City also walked out at the same ground accusing the match referee of biased and unfair refereeing.

Kataka was leading 1-0 courtesy of Derrick Onyai’s goal, which the visitors point to as a ‘hand of god’ goal, similar to Diego Armando Maradona’s infamous 1986 strike in the FIFA World Cup.

Prior to the goal, Kataka were also awarded two penalties that goalie Muhammed Ssekeba saved off Dan Mugwanya and Onyai.

Mbarara City thereafter petitioned the FUFA Competitions Department headed by Ali Mwebe (the outcome is yet to be communicated).

Last month, Airtel – Kitara also complained of suspect refereeing and mis-treatment at the same ground. During the match, the visitors’ goalie was also hit by an object thrown from outside by a fan.

Airtel –Kitara lost the game 1-0 but petitioned to the FUFA Competitions over Kataka’s decision to field players who had accumulated bookings fielded without proof of payment of a set fee as fine.

“We want justice to prevail. Football is a game of fair play,” ranted Airtel Kitara’s team manager, Joshua ‘Tata Josh’ Atugonza.

In the same week, the match between Kira United and Busia Fisheries at Kira Town Council playground was halted by referee William Oloya following crowd trouble.

The match was aborted with 5 minutes left on the clock when fans believed to be of Busia Fisheries entered the field of play to protested a disallowed goal.

Kira United was leading 2-0 at the time of the abandonment.

All the cases have been forwarded to the FUFA Competitions Department with responses expected.

Three clubs will be promoted to the Uganda Premier League at the end of the season in May 2017.

The top team from each group (Elgon and Rwenzori) qualify directly and the third one is determined via a promotional playoff.

David Isabirye is a senior staff writer for Kawowo Sports where he covers most of the major events.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think Cancel reply