- Friday February 24, 2017
- Express FC Vs Vipers – Mutesa II stadium, Wankulukuku @ 4pm
On September 23, last year, Derrick Tekkwo scored the winner as Express edged Vipers 1-0 at Nakivubo.
Since then, a lot has gone under the water at both clubs with each changing coaches and a couple of players.
Then, Alex Gitta and Wasswa Bbosa were in charge at the Red Eagles while Abdallah Mubiru, George ‘Best’ Nsimbe and John Luyinda were in the opposite dugout.
It is now Matia Lule at Express and Richard Wasswa alongside Edward Golola at the Kitende based side.
The hosts have had an indifferent start to the second round of the league but Ibrahim Saddam Juma, the tormentor in chief in the first round is adamant they can pick maximum points off Vipers.
“We are not where we want to be in terms of results and performances going into this tie,” he told Kawowo Sports. “But we have the ability and character to beat them (Vipers) although it will be tough,” he added.
“The morale is high and games like this need to extra motivation. We respect but not fear them.”
Eighth on the log with 23 points, Express’ record against Vipers, 4th with 27 points is also worrying although they don’t lose at home to the Venoms.
Express are without midfielders Allan Kyambadde and Joseph Ssemujju (on loan from Vipers) while Noah Ssemakula is absent through injury.
Vipers have an injury doubt in midfielder Siraje Sentamu who suffered a knock in the 1-1 stalemate with Volcan Club de Moroni
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Ibrahim Saddam Juma – The creative midfielder is the star man on the team and will be the one tasked to unlock the visitors’ backline.
Deus Bukenya – The engine of the Venoms but never gets the plaudits he deserves. Bukenya is a versatile player that can bring his A game at the heart of defence, right back and central midfield.
Not so many players in the league are more intelligent than the Vipers’ man who also has a knack for scoring important goals.
- Express and Vipers will be meeting for the 24th time in the history of the league since 2006 when Vipers joined the top flight competition. Vipers have won 10, drawn 7 and lost 6 scoring 22 goals as well conceding 17 in the process.
- The corresponding fixture last season ended 2-0 in Express’ favour, with Tony Odur and Ibrahim Kayiwa scoring the goals. Both players are now at Vipers.
- The last time Vipers won against Express was in 2015/16 season when Saddam Juma, now at Express scored for the Venoms.
- Vipers have won just two times at Wankulukuku in the previous 11 meetings at the venue. They have drawn 5 and lost 4, scoring five goals and conceding 9.
- No player has scored more goals in this encounter than Tony Odur (9); 3 for the Red Eagles and 9 for Vipers.
With victory, Vipers will leapfrog Onduparaka and go 3rd while Express have a chance to go 5th with maximum points.