Denis Rukundo Credit: © Kawowo Sports | JOHN BATANUDDE

CAF Confederation Cup: KCCA (Uganda) 1-0 Al Masry (Egypt)

[/media-credit] KCCA’s Paul Mucureezi in action Credit: © Kawowo Sports | JOHN BATANUDDE

A last gasp winner from Derrick Nsibambi gave KCCA a slim 1-0 victory over Egypt’s Al-Masry in the CAF Confederation Cup at Philip Omondi Stadium on Saturday.

Nsibambi came off the bench to score the only goal of the game as the Ugandan ambassadors lifted themselves up following a heart breaking Champions League exit to Mamelodi Sundowns last month.

In the early moments of the game, teenager Allan Okello had a chance at home but his shot sailed out.

Majwega tested goalie Ahmed Abdelhalim with a venomous free-kick from distance a minute after the half hour mark.

[/media-credit] Allan Okello had a chance missed in the first half Credit: © Kawowo Sports | JOHN BATANUDDE

KCCA continued to press for the opener as Al-Masry picked up momentum steadily.

Islam Salem had a chance to put the visitors ahead his effort from the box saved by goalie Benjamin Ochan.

Left footed winger Brian Majegwa missed a chance in the dying minutes of the opening half.

The second half started with KCCA making the first substitution. Striker Nsibambi came on for midfielder Muzamiru Mutyaba with the mission and intention all clear to intensify the numbers up front and score as well.

Ahmed Aly replaced Ahmed Abdalra in the 58th minute for the visiting team’s first change.

[/media-credit] Geoffrey Sserunkuma Credit: © Kawowo Sports | JOHN BATANUDDE

Okello was rested by the home side as midfielder Ivan Ntege took his place with about 18 minutes left on the clock.

On the 75th minute mark, KCCA head coach, Mike Mutebi called off Geoffrey Sserunkuma whose place was taken by another center forward Robert Sentongo as the home side sought for a break through.

Inside the final quarter of the game, Al-Masry called for the first change with a strategy to cool the tempo of the game. Elsayed Abdelaal paved way for Amr Mousa in the visitors’ second amendment of the day with 13 minutes to play.

Paul Musamali then came close to putting his side ahead in 70th minute but his effort went wide.

With two minutes left on the clock, Hernann replaced Ahmed Gomma for Egypt as the game seemed destined for a stalemate.

Five added minutes were signaled by the reserve referee.

Inside the final minute of added time, substitute Nsibambi slotted home the day’s lone strike after a well played in long free-kick from goalie Ochan to give the home fans some smiles and the precious three points ahead of next weekend’s return leg.

[/media-credit] Injury concern for Al Masry Credit: © Kawowo Sports | JOHN BATANUDDE

The return leg match will be played next Saturday in Egypt.

[/media-credit] A section of KCCA fans celebrating their only goal at Lugogo on Saturday Credit: KCCA F.C Media

KCCA XI: Benjamin Ochan (G.K), Denis Okot, Paul Musamali, Isaac Muleme, Dennis Rukundo, Muzamiru Mutyaba, Tom Masiko, Allan Okello, Paul Mucureezi, Geoffrey Serunkuuma, Brian Majwega

Subs: Charles Lukwago, Robert Sentongo, Ivan Ntege, Isaac Kirabira, Mustapha Kizza, Derrick Nsibambi, Bukenya.

David Isabirye is a senior staff writer for Kawowo Sports where he covers most of the major events.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think