Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) has decided to terminate the employment contract of Johnathan McKinstry as head coach of Uganda Cranes, Kawowo Sports can exclusively report.
A source that preferred anonymity told this website that FUFA will soon make the decision official, confirming the sacking of the Irishman.
“A decision was reached and it is just a matter of making it official,” confirmed the source.
McKinstry who has been in charge of the National Team since September 2019 had signed a three-year contract that still has a running period of 17 months.
With reports that he was being paid US$15,000 (Shs55m) monthly, sacking him means FUFA will have to pay US$255,000 (Shs943m) as compensation.
It should be noted that the Federation asked McKinstry to step aside at the start of last month (March) following dismal performance at the 2020 African Nations Championship (CHAN).
He was suspended for a month and the team handed to his assistant Abdallah Mubiru for the two final qualifying games of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations against Burkina Faso and Malawi.
Mubiru failed to guide the team back to AFCON, managing a goalless draw against Burkina Faso at St. Mary’s Kitende before falling to Malawi 1-0.
Since the end of his suspension at the start of this month, Mckinstry has been in constant engagement with FUFA with the last coming on 6th April when he met FUFA President, Eng. Moses Magogo and FUFA CEO, Edgar Watson.
It is not known whether FUFA will stick to the local coaches for the forthcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier match against Kenya in June. Uganda is in group E alongside Kenya, Rwanda and Mali.
Efforts to reach out to FUFA Communications Director, Ahmed Hussein for a comment on the matter were futile by the time of publishing this story with his known phones numbers not available.
McKinstry Games with Uganda Cranes
- Ethiopia 0-1 Uganda – Friendly
- Burkina Faso 0-0 Uganda – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- Uganda 2-0 Malawi – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- Uganda 2-1 Burundi – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 2-0 Somalia – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 2-0 Eritrea – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 4-1 Djibouti – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 1-0 Tanzania – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 3-1 Eritrea – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 1-0 South Sudan – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- South Sudan 1-0 Uganda – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- Cameroon 1-1 Uganda – Pre CHAN Tournament
- Uganda 2-0 Zambia – Pre CHAN Tournament
- Niger 0-3 Uganda – Pre CHAN Tournament
- Uganda 0-0 Rwanda – 2020 CHAN
- Togo 2-1 Uganda -2020 CHAN
- Morocco 5-2 Uganda – 2020 CHAN
- Games – 17
- Wins – 11
- Draws – 3
- Losses -3
- Goals For – 27
- Goals Against – 12