CECAFA U-23 Challenge Cup 2021: (July 17-31) – Bahir Dar, Ethiopia:
Official opening match: Ethiopia Vs Eritrea (Saturday, 17th July) – Bahir Dar Stadium (4 PM)
- Referee: Ronald Madanda (Uganda)
- Assistant Referee 1: Ronald Katenya (Uganda)
- Assistant Referee 2: Kassim Mpanga (Tanzania)
- Fourth Official: Ramadhan Kayoko (Tanzania)
- Assessor: Abdo Ali Mohamed (Djibouti)
The official opening match at the 2021 CECAFA U-23 Challenge Cup between hosts Ethiopia and Eritrea at the Bahir Dar Stadium on Saturday, 17th July will be officiated by Ugandans.
Towering FIFA Referee Ronald Madanda is the center referee for the epic clash between these traditional rivals.
He will be assisted by comrade Ronald Katenya as the first assistant referee.
Tanzania’s Kassim Mpanga is second assistant as another Tanzanian, Ramadhan Kayoko is fourth official.
The match assessor is Abdo Ali Mohamed from Djibouti.
In total, there are 21 officials who were selected to handle the 2021 CECAFA U-23 challenge cup comprising of match commissioners, referees, assistant referees, assessors, fitness instructors and the general coordinators.
Ethiopia, Eritrea and Burundi complete the teams in group B.
Group A has record champions Uganda, Tanzania and guest country Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Djibouti, South Sudan and Kenya are in group C.
This year, unlike the previous editions, all teams agreed to field U-23 sides with an exception of fielding three players above the age of 23.
Each of the nine participating countries has to pay $ 20,000 participation fees.
A: Uganda, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
B: Ethiopia, Burundi, Eritrea
C: Djibouti, South Sudan, Kenya
- Solomon Gebreyessus (Ethiopia) and Aimable Habimana (Burundi)
- Ronald Madanda (Uganda)
- Yannick Malala Kabanga (Democratic Republic of Congo)
- Thiery Nkurunziza (Burundi)
- Saddam Houssein (Djibouti)
- Tsegay Mogos Teklu (Eritrea)
- Haileyasus Bezezu (Ethiopia)
- Dickens Mimisa Myangorwa (Kenya)
- Ring Malong (South Sudan)
- Ramadhan Kayoko (Tanzania)
- Ronald Katenya (Uganda)
- Thiery Kakunze (Burundi)
- Rachid Wais (Djibouti)
- Micahel Gebru Eyobiel (Eritrea)
- Fasika Biru Yehualashet (Ethiopia)
- Stephen Yiembe Eliezah (Kenya)
- Tanzania’s Kassim Mpanga
Instructors and Assessors:
- Assessor: Ali Abdo Mohammed (Djibouti)
- Fitness Instructor: Hailemelak Tesema (Ethiopia)
- General Coordinator: Begashew Luleseged (Ethiopia)