Kitende players celebrate after shoot-out triumph over Dynamic

2017 Copa National schools football championship:

  • 1st quarter final: Kibuli S.S 1 (3) – 1 (1) Masaka S.S
  • 2nd quarter final: Jinja S.S 5-1 Citizens High
  • 3rd quarter final: St Mary’s Kitende 0 (4) – 0 (3) Dynamic
  • 4th quarter final: Nakaseke International 2-0  Jinja Progressive Academy
Kitende players celebrate after shoot-out triumph over Dynamic

Football can sometimes be too cruel a sport!

Losing out in a shoot-out that you had a chance to bury off at some stage with just one kick remains a painful experience that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

This is exactly the same experience that Mukono based school, Dynamic will live to regret.

Normal playing time failed to produce any goal count for either side.

St Mary’s Kitende talisman and Vipers’ forward Pius ‘Muzeei’ Wangi had a clear goal bound shot cleared off the line.

Dynamic’s Safi Mansool was culprit after missing from close range off a telling and teasing delivery down the left flank by the exciting Sharif Ssengendo.

After Dynamic out-smarted their opponents in normal time, they recovered from a slow start in the shoot-out after missing their first two kicks from the penalty mark.

St Mary’s Kitende player Pius Wangi with an acrobatic kick during the game against Dynamic Credit: Thierry

Wangi gave St Mary’s Kitende the lead in the tense shoot out.

Fahad Nsamba missed as his weak shot was well tamed by former Uganda U-17 goalkeeper Eric Kibowa.

St Mary’s Kitende young winger Sula Mpanga, an S.1 student missed his effort.

The shoot-out exercise was halted as Mpanga fainted shortly after before medics rushed onto the playing field with first aid.

When the shoot-out resumed, Isaac Kaka again was foiled by the goalkeeper Kibowa.

John Kalumba scored to make it 2-0 before Dynamic’s second half substitute scored.

St Mary’s captain Ashraf ‘Fadiga’ Mugume Bamutaraki scored to give his side a two goal cushion as the score-line read in bold; 3-1.

Rogers Mato pulled a goal back for Dynamic 3-2.

At this moment, St Mary’s Kitende needed just one kick to qualify.

Then came defender Bashir Asiku. The former Uganda U-17 defender shot to goalie Mark Mutibwa’s left and the diminutive shot stopper stretched at full length to tap the ball out – much to the applause of the crowd.

Manisol Safi leveled the matters 3-3 with Dynamic’s 5th attempt in the shoot-out.

To the shock of many Kitende players and fans alike, they missed their 6th kick through defender Salim Kyobe.

St Mary’s Kitende forward Kennedy Kasozi is tackled by Dynamic’s Sazili Konge at Masaka Recreational stadium Credit: Thierry

Now, it was advantage granted to Dynamic. They needed to score and book a semi-final berth.

Amazingly, a confident Mustapha Toto hit the cross bar as the scores remained 3 all.

Goalie Kibowa bulleted to give St Mary’s Kitende the lead once again 4-3 and he saved off a seemingly weak Gabriel Bonyo’s shot.

It was now done and dusted. Edward Golola and Richard Wasswa’s side had booked their place in the semi-finals and still chasing the 10th crown.

The players raced to the corner flag as they shouted aloud. Many removed their shirts in celebrations.

St Mary’s Kitende joined holders Kibuli, Jinja S.S and Nakaseke International to the semi-finals.

The semi-finals shall be played on Friday at the Arena playground in Kitovu.

The finals come on 20th May 2017 at the Masaka Recreational stadium.

David Isabirye is a senior staff writer for Kawowo Sports where he covers most of the major events.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think