KCCA's Patrick Kaddu | © JOHN BATANUDDE

Uganda Premier League (Match Day 8)

KCCA 6-1 Nyamityobora

Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) Football Club humbled newly promoted Western Uganda based side Nyamityobora 6-1 during a Star Times Uganda Premier League encounter played over the Lugogo astro turf in Kampala on Sunday.

KCCA FC players celebrate | © JOHN BATANUDDE Credit: © JOHN BATANUDDE

Strikes from on-form forward Patrick Henry Kaddu, skipper Timothy Denis Awany, Allan Okello, Jackson Nunda and a brace from second half substitute Mike Mutyaba gave 12 time Uganda Premier League champions a comfortable routine win before enthusiastic home fans.

Another second half substitute Juma Dada got the consolation for the Abanyakare.

As early as the 5th minute, Kaddu broke the deadlock with the opener, flip over the advancing goalkeeper Hilary Jomi.

Former Masavu defender Ibrahim Mpengere would have found the equalizer two minutes later but he arrived late at the back post off Charles Sebutinde’s cross from the right.

On 10 minutes, Allan Okello shot over the bar from 20 yards after dribbling past two two Nyamityobora players.

Nyamityobora Players contemplating on what to improve | © JOHN BATANUDDE

There was a weak harmless shot from Nyamityobora’s Ibrahim Massa over 40 yards 15 minutes into the match.

On the counter, Allan Okello forced a save from goalkeeper Hilary Jomi.

Allan Kyambadde was brought down by defender Kelvin Barni but Mustafa Kizza shot over the Nyamityobora goal from the resultant free-kick.

Okello dribbled past goalkeeper Jomi and the shot stopper brought the Uganda U-23 forward down for a penalty awarded by FIFA Referee William Oloya.

Jomi was cautioned for the incident as KCCA doubled their lead through captain Denis Timothy Awany after 23 minutes.

Awany drilled the ball to Jomi’s left and the goalkeeper wrongly dived to the left.

The visitors’ reaction after conceding the second goal was sublime.

Charles Musiige won a corner off a deflected ball from Awany and Lameck Ebong’s curling corner was easily parried away by KCCA goalkeeper Jamil Malyamunguwho started ahead of Charles Lukwago, fresh from two back to back Uganda Cranes’duties.


A minute to the half hour mark, Okello once again shot over after Barni’s headed clearance fell into his path.

KCCA left back Mustafa Kizza nearly turned provider with a telling ground square pass but Julius Poloto’s beautiful flick flew over the goal.

On 33 minutes, Nyamityobora holding midfielder Martin Arinaitwe had an attempt off target with a shot from 40 yards.

It was Nyamityobora again two minutes later as Ebong shot straight at goalkeeper Malyamungu.

As the first half neared its climax, KCCA right back Filbert Obenchan was cautioned for a wild lunge on Nyamityobora skipper and Uganda U-23 left back Alex “Koma” Komakech.

Nyamityobora defender Mpengere recovered swiftly after a knock to continue with play after receiving medication.

Okello made it three with a customary shot from 20 yards past goalkeeper Jomi to give the Kasasiro lads a comfortable 3-0 lead heading to the mandatory half time break.

KCCA’s Patrick Kaddu | © JOHN BATANUDDE

Five minutes into the second stanza of the game, KCCA technical bench led by head coach Mike Mutebi rested youngster Okello for Ibrahim Sadam Juma.

Two minutes later Mike Mutyaba replaced Allan Kyambadde.

Awany became the second KCCA player to get cautioned on the evening after a foul on Joseph Akwanwanaho in the 55th minute.

Poloto had a wild attempt at goal with a stray left footed shot on the right from 30 yards three minutes to the hour mark.

The visitors made their opening change of the match when Brian Mugisha replaced Akwandwanaho after 60 minutes.

Mutyaba missed good contact with Poloto’s well laid ball through a forest of legs as the home team aimed at building the advantage.

KCCA was once again celebrating for the fourth time in the game when Mutyaba raced to Poloto’s through ball to finish past goalkeeper Jomi from an acute angle for his first goal at the club since return to active football after a retirement spell.

Mutyaba raced to the technical bench and shook the hands of his coach Mike Mutebi.

Nyamityobora got a consolation from substitute Dada Juma after finishing perfectly following a text book move that involved the Charles duo of Musiige and Sebutinde.

Mutyaba powerfully struck his second on the sunny evening with a thunderous left footer on 70 minutes.

This time he raced towards the corner flag and bowed down to pray before passing by Mike Mutebi area for another hand-shake moment.

Nyamityobora immediately reacted as a mitigation strategy to avoid a would-be massacre.

On came Benjamin Mpiirwe for towering defender Muhammed Iga with 15 minutes to play.

Mutyaba missed a chance to wrap the game with a hat-trick after his left footed shot was well tamed by goalkeeper Jomi.

In the closing stages of the match, Sebutinde also exerted some pressure to the KCCA defence but goalkeeper Malyamungu was equal to thetask with a double save.

Jackson Nunda wrapped up the scoring business with an easy finish after a well laid ball from Kaddu on the right flank by-line in the 88thminute.

The comprehensive victory gives KCCA their 5th victory in 8 matches as they return to the summit of the league standings with 18 points, and a superior goal difference over second placed Vipers.

Consequently, Nyamityobora suffered their 5th losssince being promoted to the top tier and remains second bottom with just four points fetched in 8 matches.

Team Line Ups:


Jamil Malyamungu (G.K), Filbert Obenchan, Timothy Denis Awany (Captain), Hassan Musana, Mustafa Kizza, Lawrence Bukenya, Jackson Nunda, Julius Poloto, Allan Okello, Allan Kyambadde, Patrick Henry Kaddu


50’ Ibrahim Sadam Juma On, Allan Okello Out

52’ Mike Mutyaba On, Allan Kyambadde Out

71’ Muwadda Mawejje On, Filbert Obenchan Out

Subs Not Used:
Charles Lukwago (G.K), Eric Ssenjobe, Isaac Kirabira, Nicholas Kasozi, Muwadda Mawejje

Head coach: Mike Mutebi

Nyamityobora XI

Hilary Jomi (G.K), Ibrahim Mpengere, Alex Komakech (G.K), Muhammad Iga, Barni Kelvin, Ibrahim Massa, Lameck Ebong, Martin Arinaitwe, Charles Musiige, Charles Sebutinde, Joseph Akwandwanaho


60’ Brian Mugisha On, Joseph Akwandwanaho Out

66’ Dada Juma On, Martin Arinaitwe Out

75’ Benjamin Mpiirwe On, Muhammad Iga

Subs Not Used:

Saddam Ogwang (G.K), Benjamin Mpiirwe, Juma Dada, Brian Mugisha, John Paul Aciire, Ivan Mbowa

Head coach: James Odoch

Match Officials:

Center Referee: William Oloya

First Assistant Referee: Samuel Turyomuriwe

Second Assistant Referee: Joan Robson Atusinguza

Fourth Official: Asadu Ssemere

Referee Assessor: Haruna Kebba

Media officer: Moses Magero Mwanje (KCCA Media manager)


The early goal we conceded disorganized us. We came to fight for at least a point because we knew we were facing a good team. We had a problem in the midfield. We lack experience and maturity in the team. We are still building the team. We need at least 10 points in the remaining games for the first round.

James Odoch, head coach Nyamitybora Football Club

This was a five-star performance from the team. All the six goals we scored were good out of the combination play. Mike Mutyaba has rediscovered himself. He has the ability of the center forward to keep the ball and involve the others.

Mike Mutebi, Head coach KCCA Football Club

David Isabirye is a senior staff writer for Kawowo Sports where he covers most of the major events.

Leave a comment

Please let us know what you think